Can Dogs Eat Nutella? Any Benefits or Risks?

Can Dogs Eat Nutella

There are many foods commonly consumed around the house that are actually toxic to dogs, such as dried fruits, grapes, onions, and alcohol. It is very rare for any of these foods to be given to pets with the intention of harming them or making them sick. Most often, dogs serve themselves or are fed these foods as “treats”, without their owners realizing the damage these foods can do.

So can dogs eat Nutella?

Nutella contains too much saturated fat, sugar, cocoa, theobromine, and caffeine for dogs to eat safely, so Nutella is not recommended in the dog’s diet. If eaten by a dog in large quantities, it can cause vomiting, increased heart rate, internal bleeding, agitation, and convulsions.

Dogs cannot metabolize theobromine or caffeine as well as humans. When eaten by dogs, it causes the incorrect processing of calcium in their body, as well as several other effects. Calcium is essential to allow proper contraction and movement of all muscles in the body, including the heart muscle.

You might also like my articles on whether dogs can eat basil, figs, or lemongrass.

Can Nutella be lethal to your dog?

The simple answer is no, but it has some dangerous side effects for your furry friend. The main components of Nutella Cocoa are methylxanthines, theobromine, and caffeine, which are dangerous for dogs to ingest. Some Nutella contain excessive chocolate, which can cause theobromine poisoning in your dog.

What if my dog ate Nutella?

If your dog eats Nutella, monitor its symptoms if there are any. You may notice diarrhea, vomiting, and lack of appetite. This could be caused by the high levels of sugar and fat in the product. If the symptoms are worrying or become worse over time, then be sure to call your veterinarian immediately.

Will Nutella make a dog sick?

Nutella ok for dogsNutella also contains cocoa, which is highly toxic to dogs. Even if the amount contained is not enough to make the average dog sick, it is recommended not to feed the dogs with any amount of cocoa.

What are the signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs?

For many dogs, the most common clinical signs are vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, panting or restlessness, excessive urination, and accelerated heart rate. In severe cases, symptoms may include muscle tremors, convulsions, and heart failure.

How much chocolate is a dog allowed to eat?

For the milk chocolate, any ingestion of more than 0,5 ounces per kilogram of the dog’s body weight can put it at risk of chocolate poisoning. Ingesting more than 0,13 ounces per kilogram of dark or semi-sweet chocolate can cause poisoning.

What foods should you avoid feeding your dog?

Toxic food for dogs:

  • Onions, garlic, and chives. The onion family, whether dry, raw, or cooked, is particularly toxic to dogs and can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage.
  • Chocolate.
  • Macadamia nuts.
  • Corn on the cob.
  • Avocados.
  • Artificial sweetener (xylitol)
  • Alcohol.
  • Boiled bones.

Will my dog be okay after eating chocolate?

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, mainly because of its theobromine content, which dogs cannot metabolize effectively. If your dog eats chocolate, you should monitor it closely and seek veterinary help if it has symptoms if it’s a puppy and if it is pregnant or has other health problems.

How long does it take for a dog to recover after eating chocolate?

In most cases, symptoms appear within a few hours, but it is known to be delayed up to 24 hours. It may take up to three days for the dog to fully recover.

One of the most important things you can do is to make sure that all members of your family are aware that chocolate, including Nutella, is toxic and also about the potentially very serious side effects (and veterinary bill!) which could result. If everyone is on the same page, it is much easier to protect your pet.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *