How to Properly Shave Your Shih TzuMay 12, 2022
Oscar Fish Lifespan – How Much Will It Live?May 13, 2022
A great mix between two breeds of dogs is the Boston Terrier-Chihuahua combination, mostly due to the great breeds of the parents. This article will tell you everything there is to know about the amazing Boston Chihuahua mix.
The Boston Terrier-Chihuahua mix is suitable for all kinds of families and houses, even smaller apartments. It is also a very adorable pet and a loyal companion. It comes from two breeds that are very liked by dog owners, the CHihuahua and the Boston Terrier. This dog will feature an amazingly strong personality.
But let’s talk more about its parents, to get a clearer understanding of what their combination will look like.
- Lifespan: 13 – 15 years
- Weight: 10 – 25 lb.
- Height: 12 – 15 inches at the shoulder
The Boston Terrier is also known as the American gentleman, due to its unique markings in the form of a tuxedo. It is a breed that is considered ‘all-American’. And their personality makes them gentlemen as well. They were initially bred to participate in fight sports, but soon enough people realized that with enough love and care, they would make a really great companion instead. Although it has a stubborn personality, this dog is very lovable, active, lively, and extremely intelligent.
- Lifespan: 10 – 18 years
- Weight: 3 – 6 lb.
- Height: 6 – 9 inches at the shoulder
You surely know that the Chihuahua is the smallest dog in the world. But the size should in no way fool you. This small creature has a pretty opinionated personality, being feisty but also very intelligent. Some people find his yelps annoying from time to time, but it’s not something you won’t be able to ignore in time. He is quite delicate, mostly due to his small size. This means that you shouldn’t get this dog if you need a dog for chores.
Boston Terrier-Chihuahua Mix Characteristics
- It has a short, shiny, and soft coat, that needs very little grooming and maintenance.
- Some dogs of this mix have a very short tail, while others don’t have a tail at all.
- It will feature upright standing ears, with a considerably large head. It has very expressive, round, and beautiful eyes.
- He can weigh, on average, anywhere between 10 and 14 pounds.
- Expect this mix to have a muscular and stout build.
- Most of the time, the Bo-Chi will look a lot more similar to the Boston Terrier parent than the Chihuahua, although this isn’t always the case.
The Bo-Chi is actually a delight to train, especially because of its high intelligence levels. Being so intelligent also means that it will have a strong personality, which means that it might get stubborn at one point or another. This is when the owner will have to take an active approach to training and socializing with the dog.
It will eagerly learn any new tricks and will also be very energetic and active. This is a very quick learner, as long as you’re using the right training style.
You will notice that the Bo-Chi won’t be very suspicious around strangers and will like to socialize and meet new people. Although it will like to spend time around strangers, it will always have a stronger connection with loved ones and will usually follow them wherever they go.
Most of the time, the Bo-Chi won’t take the Chihuahua’s annoying bark. This mix isn’t even considered that much of a barker. It will only bark to alert its owner when it notices strange activity.
Health and Grooming
- The average Bo-Chi dog will live for a lot of years, having a lifespan of around 15 years.
- Concerning its health, as long as you keep up with the dog’s routine checkups and vaccinations, you won’t have to deal with a lot of issues.
- This dog will have to be fed with soft food that it would be able to chew with ease. It might also develop a small underbite, that shouldn’t cause any issues overall.
- You should brush its coat regularly. The coat itself will be shiny and short. This dog doesn’t shed a lot and you shouldn’t bathe it more frequently than your vet recommends.
- Always keep it protected from natural elements because its small size makes it unfit to withstand harsh weather.
- You should also keep all your windows, doors, and cages protected because this dog might escape. This is mostly because of its curious nature and its desire to explore its surroundings.
- Short walks might not be enough to consume all its energy, you might have to take the dog on short runs and give it some exercise opportunities throughout the day.
The Boston Terrier-Chihuahua mix will become a loving and lively companion to your whole family, so make sure you give it the necessary affection and it will surely reciprocate it.